Having too many Facebook friends can make you depressed
- 354Facebook friends ought to be your limit source
» There’s nothing wrong with denying that friend request: A recent study presented at the annual Society for Personality and Social Psychology meeting asked a group of participants to check their friend’s status updates. After doing so, they rated their lives as “much less satisfying” than a group that didn’t check their news feed. They looked at how many friends the users had, and found that 354 friends was roughly the point at which reading status updates started making them sad. The theory is that status updates often paint a disproportionately positive picture of peoples’ lives. Readers of said updates compare their own lives to those represented in status updates, and figure that they’re having a lot less fun than everybody else. The solution, then, is to either clean up your friends list, or become befriend a bunch of depressed misanthropes.
I dont agree with this. I think in today’s age, denying a friend request is equivalent to a slap in the face (and deleting a friend is a kick in the groin). I block people I don’t know well or don’t talk to much from my newsfeed, but still have them as friends as a courtesy because I think it is rude to deny or delete unless I have an actual problem with the person. Perhaps I am different in that way. But I would hazard a guess that I regularly pay attention to about half of my friends on facebook, perhaps less in the 300-400 range, so I suppose that statistic could be true. Though I never compare my life to theirs unless I am making fun of them………haha
spice up your life
- Me: any thyme
- Me: hahahaha omg she said "lol that's herblarious"
- Kelsey: hahahaha you're a nutmeg
- Me: i cayenne not help it
- Kelsey: you just assalted me with that comeback
- Me: i'm cumin to save you from your pain!
- Kelsey: hmmm stretchin it with that one. i would have said 'we are showing verbal acumin'
- Me: i dont know like any spices. i literally just googled "list of spices" assuming there was a wikipedia article about it. haha it was either that or go downstairs and see what we have.
- Kelsey: CHEATING
what’s the newest facebook thing? about going to a country for so many months? i’ve seen like 3 girls who i know are not traveling for an extended period of time with these statuses.